Monday, February 2, 2009

Scotch's first weekend...


Treat Pocket:)

We survived our first weekend...and Scotch was faced with many challenges!

Thursday morning I was Vacuuming and Scotch came up to it and started to bark~first time he has shown signs of aggression. Then came on the pouncing and nipping at the vacuum. Believe me, watching him play with the vacuum was adorable....then I recalled he is a dog not a human and this behavior really means" I have aggression issues!"And this was the beginning of an eventful weekend for Scotch.









Dog training, DOWN:)

Friday early evening Scotch meet my two kids, Sylvia, 10 and Alec, 8 for the first time. Scotch and I met the kids and their father at our meeting destination. The kids hopped in my truck and I found Scotch in the back corner of 'his' truck with tail under him:( I formally introduced Scotch to the kids on his terms in the truck. He sat in the front seat curled up in fetus position for the remainder of the hour(on our way there he was walking around joyfully with the demeanor of 'his' truck). We arrived home and the kids fell into our routine. Scotch approached Alec and Sylvia with his toy to play tug-a-war with the demeanor of 'his' house. I am noticing a change in behavior within him...?











Dog training, WATCH ME:)

Friday evening the kids ,Scotch and I went to our first dog basic training class. Scotch was brilliant at SIT, DOWN, and WATCH ME. The other 5 foster dogs and Scotch were not allowed to interact. Therefore I am still unsure of his socialization skills....?

Friday late evening a family memeber and their dog walked in our house and we saw for the first time Scotch's weak points...dominating aggression. He first bark at, after sniffing, then attacked the other dog. I separated the two and placed them on separate floors for the remainder of the weekend, Scotch on the top floor and the other dog on third floor. When Scotch saw the other dog he would wag his tail in excitement until the other dog came near his food which was on a the third floor~ the floor in between the two dogs.

On Saturday Scotch broke through his redneck(homemade) gate and approached the other dog with playful excitement. Then they both attacked each other as I approached them. This time the other dog owner separated the two. This fight was possibly my fault; being fearful of another fight.

Scotch proceeded to attempt to dominate the kids over the weekend through tug a war which we no longer play. We play hide and seek or fetch (he is learning to DROP the ball). We also learned Scotchs possessive aggression behavior over the house, his food, and his toys.

While I write this blog I am frustrated and deeply heavyhearted at the same time. Frustrated that this creature was created with these negative traits by humans, unintentionally or intentionally. Heavyhearted because my heart goes out to him and all other dogs with similar issues caused by humans...:(
Scotch's dominating and possessive aggression can be removed from his psychology with patience and time. I am determined to rehabilitate him! To the followers of Scotch~
please be faithful. Follow Scotch's progress; he will overcome his set backs! Everything I write will be the truth of all Scotch's experience with me.

Scotch and I are learning to WALK, with me as the leader of the pack. Yesterday, we started with a leash~ my hands are raw from the constant pulling on his part and the tugging on my part. Today he tried the gentle leader head collar; at first he tried to remove it then I helped him adjust with distractions of training SIT with a treat. At the end of the WALK he no longer
was aware of the head collar! There were a few pulls and tug's:) but overall we enjoyed our WALK! He is an eager learner and doubtlessly respectable....when he is aware that he is not the leader:)

On a funny note,Scotch has obtained a blankie. Here is the story; as I mentioned before he follows every step I make. Well, when I work in an area in my house without carpet for flooring he rests in another room with carpet and whines. So, I gave him a blanket and placed it near me. He approached me with wet kisses:) He uses the blanket every time now! He is officially an owner of a blankie:) And gained the new nickname 'puppy dog.'

MayBerry Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment